Sunday, April 22, 2007

Modeling

It was a self-serve dinner last night. I took the breaded tilapia fillets out of the oven, set the dressing next to the big salad bowl, and called everyone to help themselves. Edison helped himself to a nice-sized fillet, and then decided he needed some ketchup (he is his father's son).

Holding his plate in one hand, he opened the refrigerator and bent over to pull the ketchup bottle out of the door shelf. His fillet slide off his plate, onto the floor, at the feet of the dog. The dog stared at it in disbelief. The very magnitude of his luck paralyzed him. Then, he glanced up at us and Edison grabbed the fillet and put it back on his plate, lint and all.

Todd, took Edison aside to deal with the tragedy, while the rest of us went quietly into the dining room. A few minutes later Edison joined us with a new plate and his dad's tilapia fillet. Todd came behind him claiming that he wasn't hungry at this very moment, and hot dogs later sounded like a good Friday night meal. He offered to read the next chapter in "The New Adventures of the Mad Scientist Club" while we ate.

After the joyful whooping, came shouts of "I just need to refill my water glass", "I'm going to get some some salad", "don't start yet." In the clamor and commotion necessary to prepare for such a wonderful treat, St. George quietly, surreptitiously passed his father a large chunk of Breaded Fillet of Fish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. It moved me to tears--like when I received a certain dinosaur shirt pillow! Your kids are all so very special, and I'm so glad I get to be their grandma.

Alice Gunther said...

A beautiful story of love and generosity.

Thank you for sharing it.