My arbor is just about done. It was a happy confluence of events. Todd needed to thin some trees at the edge of the woods, my dear friend was here for a few hours on Saturday morning (with her sleeves rolled up and ready to tackle a project), and I had a design and a spot crying out for an arbor.
It's a monstrosity. It is huge. Ten feet wide, eight feet tall at the side and the roof peak another foot above that, made of alder and vine maple trunks about 5-6 inches in diameter. I love it! It is large enough that it frames a view of the garden as well as the Douglas Fir trees on the ridge beyond. There is something so magical about an arbor. It is a porthole into another world, an invitation to walk slowly, inhale deeply, be delighted.
And so I finally get to the good part, ordering the roses. I found a rambling, everblooming pink Cecile Brunner, and then choose two larger bloomed and lightly fragrant pink climbers: Eden and New Dawn. They should be here next week. I can hardly wait. The real point of an arbor, after all, is the roses.
Monday, May 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That sounds gorgeous! Will you put up pictures when you get the plants going?
Post a Comment